Hundreds of thousands of young travellers head to Australia on a work and travel visa each year. On an Australian working holiday visa, you are allowed a year’s worth of travel, with the bonus of being able to work to fund yourself along the way. The Oz economy is well equipped to provide for travellers taking this route, with thousands of temporary working holiday jobs waiting for the broke backpacker.

If you’re heading to Australia, and are under the upper age limit of 31, I’d seriously recommend you consider this route. This guide will explain what a working holiday (or work and holiday) visa is, who is eligible for one, how to apply for and get your visa.

There is also talk of the upper age limit rising to 35 – so now is a good time to start thinking about it!

Clueless about preparing for your trip? Head to this post to find out the 6 things I always do before travelling overseas.

What is a Working Holiday (or Work and Holiday) Visa?

There are two different types of Australian work visa that allow young backpackers to try their hand at working and travelling in Australia. Depending on your home country, you will need to apply for either a visa subclass 417 or subclass 462. According to the Australian border website, both of these are defined as

“a temporary visa for young people who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to a year.”

Simple enough!

However, there are a few potential pitfalls that the unwary traveller might encounter. But fear not! Read on for a step-by-step guide on how to manage your Australian working holiday with ease.

For everything you might need for your working holiday, head to this page for a roundup of all my posts on the topic!

Before You Leave Home

Orchard in Australia - one of my own working holiday jobs

1. How to apply for your Australian working holiday visa

Time taken: 10 minutes

Applying for and receiving an Australian visa is actually one of the easiest visa processes I’ve come across. The Australian government are quick to respond and very efficient. With this in mind, do not bother going through an agency to sort your visa out. You’ll just be wasting your money. It’s very, very easy to do yourself.

First, head to the Australian work visa website. Scroll down to the ‘Working Holiday’ section and click on the appropriate link. Choose ‘Working Holiday, subclass 417’ if you’re from any of the below countries:

  • Belgium
  • Canada
  • Republic of Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China (including British National Overseas passport holders)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Republic of Korea
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Sweden
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

Or, choose ‘Work and Holiday visa, sublass 462’ if you are from any of the following:

  • Argentina
  • Bangladesh
  • Chile
  • China, People’s Republic of
  • Indonesia
  • Israel
  • Malaysia
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Slovak Republic
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Thailand
  • Turkey
  • USA
  • Uruguay

Unfortunately for visa subclass 462, only US passport holders can apply online, so other passport holders will have to download the PDF form and send their application to the relevant immigration office.

Once you have determined which type of visa you need, click through to the page, fill in the form and voila – ten minutes and you’re all sorted.

Then you just need to pay, and wait for a response.

In my case, the confirmation email came instantly, and the visa acceptance within an hour of that. It was so fast that I actually thought I must have done it wrong, or it must be some sort of scam (it wasn’t).

So far, so easy!

2. How to set up your bank account

Time taken: Five minutes

So you’ve got your working holiday visa sorted. The next thing you might want to do is set up an Australian bank account. This is optional, because you can also do this after you arrive in Australia.

However, in my experience, having this done in advance made the process incredibly straightforward on arrival. Another advantage is that if you want to, you can transfer money across to your Australian account in advance. This way you can avoid ATM fees during your travels, and instead just incur a one-time fee from the money transfer company.

I ended up wishing I had taken this option. In general, if your home currency is looking weak, one big transfer might be a good idea – plus it means that you’ll already have money accessible when you arrive, in the local  currency. You can find out how your currency compares to the Australian dollar by checking out and having a look at the graphs for the past month. Use a company such as TransferWise or Currencies Direct.

If you’d like to read a more detailed article on international money transfer, take a look at the one on Money Saving Expert

Setting up an Australian bank account online took me about five minutes. There are four main Australian banks: ANZ, NAB, Westpac and Commonwealth. I chose Commonwealth, but any of the others will have a similarly simple process.

Australian banks tend to charge for using ATMs that are not under their name. Therefore, choosing the bank with the most ATMs is a sensible bet. This is why I chose to go with Commonwealth (they have over 4000 ATMs in Australia, compared to ANZ’s roughly 3200 and Westpac’s 3000). However, it is worth noting that ANZ allows you to withdraw money in New Zealand banks as well without charging. It’s totally your choice!

I’ll explain the process using Commonwealth’s website, but it will be very similar with either of the other main banks.

First, head to their website and click through to the bank account application page:

Banking → Moving to Australia → Open a Bank Account

If you’re on a working holiday visa, you will want a Smart Access Account, so click on that. Once you’re there, just click ‘OK’ and go through the form, filling your details in. This takes about five minutes, at most – and it’s as simple as that!

See below for what to do on arrival to complete your bank set up.

I would also highly highly recommend setting up your superannuation with whichever bank you choose – more info on what the hell superannuation is can be found here

3. Reciprocal Health Care

Australia has reciprocal healthcare agreements with several countries, including the UK. This means that medical treatment can be subsidised or free, depending on where you’re from.

However, in some cases, you will need proof of enrollment in your own country’s healthcare scheme – so make sure you enquire about that before you leave! See below for what to do once you have arrived in Australia.

Note: reciprocal health care still will not cover you for everything – you should still take out travel insurance as well! This will cover you for more extreme emergency measures, as well as things like lost or stolen possessions.

Check out my earlier post on travel insurance if you need more guidance!

Cape Tribulation - somewhere I visited on my first Australian working holiday

After You Arrive

4. Getting an Australian phone contract

Time taken: Fifteen minutes

There are two main mobile providers in Australia: Optus and Telstra. Telstra is always quoted as the one with best coverage, but the actual percentage difference in coverage is only 0.7%. However, in remote areas Telstra wins for signal hands down – whatever the figures might say – so bear that in mind if you’re planning on road tripping!

Telstra and Optus shops are common in most cities, so one way to get your phone contract sorted would be just to visit one of these. Telstra’s cheapest deal is $30/month for 2.5GB data and unlimited calls and texts. Optus has $30/month for 3GB data plus unlimited talk and texts.

However, there are a couple of tricks to getting a cheaper deal if you aren’t after a contract with loads of data (which costs quite a lot per month).

Before that, though, you need to make sure your phone is unlocked – or else you won’t be able to use an Australian SIM card! There is a great article from Too Many Adapters on getting your phone ready to travel: if you don’t think your phone is unlocked, take a look at the ‘Unlocking’ section.

Hopefully all that will be swiftly sorted, and you’ll be ready to hunt for a good deal.

A good way to skimp on the cost of your contract is to get a SIM with a secondary provider. That is, a company which utilises one of the popular mobile networks, but sells the data, calls and minutes at a cheaper price, under a different name.

Some options for this include:




Coles Supermarket

Moose Mobile

A lot of people on the Australia Backpackers Facebook group seem to recommend Aldi mobile, so that might be a good one to consider.

I personally had the Coles option: $20/month for 2GB data and unlimited talk and text, on the Optus network. I don’t tend to use much data so it was fine for me, and I didn’t want to spend much on a contract. However, when I was road tripping along the south coast, I did find that my signal was pretty well non existent in some places – whereas my friend’s Optus network worked fine.

More: Planes, Trains and Automobiles – choosing transport in Australia

Things to consider when setting up your Australian mobile plan:

  • Wifi in hostels in Australia is generally quite terrible, and in many places you have to pay for it. Therefore, depending on what your priorities are, mobile data can be worth its weight in gold. If your hostel charges $4/day for reasonable wifi, you’d soon be better off having more mobile data for the month.
  • Some deals are for month-to-month contracts, while some are for 12 months. Clearly, month-to-month gives you that bit more flexibility (say if you want more data from one month to the next), but often it’s cheaper to be locked in to a 12-month contract.
  • If you are considering going to particularly remote locations, it may be worth looking at a phone coverage map to see which network is likely to be best in that situation.
  • Vaya is an online-only mobile provider. This means that you have to have an address that you are willing to have the SIM card sent to (as you can’t pick one up in a supermarket like with Amaysim or other maintstream providers). It also makes things a little more complicated if you don’t have an Australian bank account.

5. Finish setting up your bank account

Time taken: Thirty minutes

If you’ve followed the process above, setting up your bank account on arrival will be very easy. Just visit the local branch you selected online, with your passport and welcome letter, and someone will take you through the procedure.

Even if you forget to take your welcome letter with you, it should still be fine… I did, and they were still able to set it up for me. With Commonwealth, we had to download their app in order to finalise the process, which is why it’s a good idea to sort your Australian phone out as soon as possible.

Side note – Australian banking apps are absolutely brilliant and I think the UK could definitely learn something here!

They will ask you for a contact number as well, which you will have to go back and change if you haven’t got an Australian number yet.

Within about half an hour, you’ll have your new debit card and have online banking all set up. The best thing is that you’ve already filled in all your details online, so you don’t have the faff of going through all this in branch.

However, just to reiterate, it is definitely also possible to set up your account once you’re in Australia.

6. Apply for your Australian Tax File Number (TFN)

Time taken: Ten minutes to apply, two weeks for it to arrive

Within two weeks of arriving to Australia, make sure you apply for your TFN. You should do this regardless of how late you plan to start working. They aren’t technically obligatory to work in Australia, but without one you will pay more tax (and who wants that?).

Need help finding work in Australia? Check out my awesome guide right here, full of tips, tricks and helpful links!

Luckily applying for your TFN is a very simple process. Simply go to the website and fill in your details. You will need the following information with you when you apply:

Working holiday tax file number

There are a couple of things, however, which may make this difficult. The first is that an address is required for you to have the TFN sent to. Obviously this is problematic for the nomadic backpacker!

To overcome this problem, there are a couple of options. First, if you have any friends that you are planning to visit before you start work, you can use their address. This is what we did, and it made things really easy. She sent us the details once it arrived – not that we needed them.

Another option is to use a hostel’s address. This does require a bit of forward planning, however. TFNs take around two weeks to arrive after application, so you need to have a rough idea of where you’ll be in two weeks. Many backpackers end up having to hang around to wait for it, which is annoying if you had plans! Try at least to make it coincide with a place that you wouldn’t mind staying a few extra days anyway.

Once you’ve received your TFN, you don’t need it until you are looking for work. Just keep it in a safe place!

You will need to fill in a tax return at the end of the tax year, just like everyone else working in Australia. For more info on how that works, and how to do it yourself, head here.

7. Enrolling with Medicare

Time taken: ten minutes to apply, up to 30 days to receive Medicare card

If you have the appropriate proof of enrollment in your home medical system, you will be able to enrol with Medicare on arrival. This means you’ll get your own Medicare card with a unique number, which you can show if you ever need to seek treatment. You can do this by downloading the form online and handing it in to your local Medicare centre, or by visiting your centre, where they will give you one to fill in. has an informative guide on Medicare with more detailed information on what is available for each eligible country, so check that out if you’d like to know more.


8. Finding work in Australia

Varying time!

As I’ve mentioned, Australia is very well set up for backpackers to find jobs. Once you arrive, you will more fully understand this. A percentage of almost every place you go will be staffed by travellers, or at least non-locals. Hostels, bars, restaurants, shops, travel agencies, hotels – everywhere you visit has job opportunities. To a certain extent your success will be down to luck, but the work is definitely there.

I actually wrote a whole guide on all the ways to find work in Oz, which you can find here!

Don’t be too fussy about what jobs you want to take. Particularly in popular places like Byron Bay, the competition will be pretty strong.

There are quite a few websites with backpacker job opportunities advertised on them. Some are dedicated solely to this, while others are more multi-purpose.

For job listings that are more specifically aimed at backpackers, take a look at:

      • Backpacker Job Board: – be aware that some of the listings on here are quite out of date, so you may not get a reply.
      • Travellers at Work: – the same applies for this website. For both of these, it is best to just look at the most recently posted jobs (regardless of location) and go from there.
      • Harvest Trail – helpful government resource connecting backpackers to farm jobs across the country. They have a useful interactive map, so if you have an idea of the location you’d like to be in then this will allow you to see if there is work there.

For more general career listings, check out:

        • Seek: – self-proclaimed as Australia’s number one job website.
        • Jobsearch: – the government’s offering.
        • Gumtree: – a surprisingly great resource with a big variety of opportunities. Gumtree can also be useful if you’re looking to buy a car or van to kickstart your travel, or even a bike to allow you to get to work.

There are other job websites out there, but these are the most common and well-used.

It’s also certainly worthwhile to speak to people in hostels, to try and find out whether they have any useful contacts or advice for finding work in your area. Often word of mouth helps to find opportunities that aren’t online.

In my experience, by far the best way of getting jobs is by printing out a bunch of copies of your CV to hand out in person – again, not all jobs are advertised online. This is especially true for industries like hospitality and retail, where part of the process is letting the bosses see what kind of person you are.

coffs harbour

A Word on Australian Second Year Visas

If you think you might want to spend another year working and travelling in Australia, there are a few criteria you need to adhere to.

The criteria differ for 417 and 462 visas, but basically in your first year you’ll need to work for 88 days (i.e. 3 calendar months) in a designated ‘regional’ area, in certain types of jobs.

For 417 visas, this includes farming, forestry, mining and construction, and fishing. For 462 visa holders, you can also do hospitality work (as long as it’s in northern Australia, again within a designated area).

If you want to know more about the second year visa, check out my complete guide here!

The vast majority of people will do some form of farm job such as fruit picking in order to fulfill these requirements. Farm work can be easy to come by if you find the right location – in peak harvest season, they need all the help they can get!

If you are looking to get a second year visa, make sure beforehand that your job qualifies for second year visa status. It would be awful to work somewhere for three months only to discover you can’t stay after all! One quick way of doing this is by reading through the requirements for what type of job you are allowed to do, and which postcodes qualify as ‘regional areas’ are for your visa.

Read through the government criteria for 417 visas here and 462 visas here for getting your second year visa!

You can apply for your second year visa either in or outside of Australia, but whichever option you choose, you need to remain there while your visa is granted. Second year visas can take between two and six weeks to process (and I actually have friends who waited several months) – so if you plan on staying in Australia, make sure you apply with plenty of time to spare!

If you fulfill these requirements, then once again just head to the Department of Immigration website to apply.

If you have questions about your Australian working holiday, feel free to let me know in the comments below and I’ll do my best to answer! 

Want more advice for backpacking in Australia? Take a look at my 50 Budget Australia Backpacking Tips here!

Liked this? Pin it!

The ultimate guide to your australian working holiday